找回密码

Air Supply空气补给中文网 | 华人全球唯一空气补给乐队中文论坛

查看: 4708|回复: 0

The one that you (secretly) love (附:译文)

[复制链接]
发表于 2011-9-19 15:36 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
The one that you (secretly) love By DAVID BRINN
09/04/2011 21:23

After wowing Israel in 2008, Eighties duo, "Air Supply" is returning for four shows around the country.

Calling someone an ‘airhead’ is not usually very complimentary – unless you’re talking about the fans of Air Supply. The enormously successful soft rock Australian band who hit their stride in the 1980s with a string of syrupy ballads apparently have a lot of Airheads in Israel. Three years after filling the Ra’anana Amphitheater, the band led by longtime partners Graham Russell and Russell Hitchcock, are returning for not one, but four shows – September 8 back in Ra’anana, Sept. 10 at the Kiryat Motzkin Amphitheater, Sept. 12 at Sultan’s Pool in Jerusalem, and Sept. 13 at the Arts Center in Beersheba.

That means there’s a ton of people who like singing along to their romantic hits like “Making Love Out of Nothing at All,” “All Out of Love” and “Lost in Love.”

Once maligned as the epitome of wimp rock, the band’s music has come to symbolize gentler, less ironic days. And the duo have been recognized for the consummate pop craftsmen they are, with Russell writing and playing guitar, and Hitchcock wrapping his soaring tenor around the memorable melodies.

“We’re celebrating our 36th anniversary of working together,” said Hitchcock, taking a break from a soundcheck in Tokyo last week. And rather than slowing down, the 61-year-old Russell and the 62-year-old Hitchcock, along with their touring band, are on the road these days more than ever.

ShowImage.jpg
Photo by: Courtesy

“We’re doing four shows in Japan, then on to Singapore, and then home for a little bit before heading to Las Vegas and coming over to Israel. We’re trying to get to as many people in the world as we can,” said Hitchcock.

“To have a career like this at such a level without the support of mainstream radio anymore is quite a testament to the music. We’re very proud of our show and we’re working with some great guys in the band right now. If you didn’t see us last time, you should come because you’ll be in for a great surprise.”

That’s because, according to Hitchcock, despite their reputation as sappy balladeers, Air Supply’s shows are, dare it be said, rocking.

“It’s a rock and roll show, it’s loud and you have to get involved,” he said, adding that while they still perform their well-known hits, it’s anything but an oldies show.

“Last year, we released our 25th studio album called Mumbo Jumbo [called “adventurous” by the All Music Guide]. And we’ve never considered ourselves to be anything but current. I don’t think we’re resting on our laurels,” said Hitchcock.

That hasn’t been the case ever since Hitchcock met Russell when both were accepted as cast member for the stage show of Jesus Christ Superstar in Sydney in 1975. They hit it off, sparked by their common love of The Beatles, and were soon performing a late-night duo act in clubs following the Superstar shows.

Signed to CBS Records in Australia, the duo, now expanded to a full band, became local stars, and toured the US and Canada opening up for Rod Stewart.

When their music found its way to Clive Davis, the head of Arista Record, he snapped them up which, in 1980, started a run of chart-topping songs and albums in the US.

”I’m proud of every recording that we’ve made,” said Hitchcock, adding that he and Russell are in sync with each other regarding their songs.

“I’ve never had a disagreement with Russell over a song he wrote, I’ve enjoyed singing his songs more than any composer I’ve ever been involved with. I’d sing anything he wrote, I love his attitude, the emotion involved and the melodies. He’s one of the finest there is. I don’t write my own songs because I leave it to the expert.”

Russell, speaking to the The Post before Air Supply’s 2008 show in Ra’anana, expressed similar sentiments about Hitchcock.

"We certainly have a brotherhood. I don’t think we’ve ever had an argument in our entire career,” he said.

“We let each other do whatever he does best. He’s the singer and I write the songs. He usually leaves the creative stuff to me, including the show design and the pacing, and he does his own thing in performing. His voice still sounds so amazing, that’s what he does so well.”

With over 100 performances a year on the docket, and no longer being a spring chicken, Hitchcock admitted that it’s getting more imperative to take care of himself in order to keep his voice in prime fashion.

“At this point, I try to take it easy when I’m not onstage, and get as much rest as I can,” he said.

“I’m conscientious about what I eat and I’ve never smoked. And I leave the partying to the young bulls.”

That doesn’t mean that he doesn’t like to get out and experience the countries he’s visiting. Hitchcock recalled how much he liked visiting Israel the first time and seeing holy sites in Jerusalem. But he added that the focus of the band was on the performances, which along with Air Supply’s legacy, is something they take very seriously.

“I’d like to hope that we’re making music that is going to last a long time. We’ve been around for nearly 40 years now, and we see people bringing their grandchildren to shows,” said Hitchcock.

”Beside our chart success, there’s something more important though. I want to be remembered as an act that produced and wrote songs that touched peoples’ hearts.”

Airheads around the world will agree to that.

<中文译文版权归空气补给中文网所有>

在2008年以色列的演出之后,80年代的双人组合"Air Supply"正回到这里准备四场新的演出.
  称某人为'airhead'通常不是太普遍的-除非你正在和一个air supply的粉丝谈话。这个80年代异常成功的soft rock澳大利亚组合用甜美的旋律在以色列俘获了许多歌迷。在Ra’anana Amphitheater演出之后的三年,这个乐队由创始成员Graham Russell和Russell Hitchcock带领下,以四场演出重返。9月8日回到Ra’anana, 9月10日在Kiryat Motzkin Amphitheater, 9月12日在耶路撒冷Sultan’s Pool, 而9月13日在贝而谢巴的Arts Center。

这意味着,将会有无数人唱着抒情的经典 “Making Love Out of Nothing at All,” “All Out of Love” and “Lost in Love.”

“我们正在庆祝一同合作的第36个年头。” 在上周在东京进行一个试音的间隙,Hitchcock说。而这并不是放慢脚步, 61岁的Russell 和62岁的Hitchcock, 一起和他们的巡演乐队一同进行着演出数量比以往来的更多。

“我们在日本正在进行着4场演出,然后去新加坡,接着在回家之前,前往拉斯维加斯然后去以色列,我们正试着尽可能多的得到世界上各个角落的新歌迷“,Hitchcock说.

“在这样水平的音乐生涯上,没有主流电台的支持,这是对音乐的一个极大的考验,我们非常自豪的是我们正和乐队里的一些伟大的乐手一起合作,加入你上一次没有来看我们的演出,那这次你一定要来,因为你们一定会得到一个大大的惊喜!“

那是因为,按照Hitchcock的说法, 尽管他们以抒情歌曲成名,然而Air Supply的现场演出却敢说,这是摇滚!

“这是Rock and roll的演出,音量调到最大,你不得不参与进来,” 他说, 然而他们依然会演出他们的经典歌曲,这是一场老歌的盛会。

”去年,我们发行了我们第25张录音室大碟Mumbo Jumbo[所有的乐评人都称之为“大胆” ]. 我们从未考虑到我们会转变成什么样,我们只会去保持。 而我也不认为我们在吃老本,” Hitchcock说。

<省略了一些乐队历史介绍。。。>

”我对于我们发行的每张专辑都非常的自豪” Hitchcock说, 他和Russell在每首歌的意见上都是相当的统一的。

“我从来没有对Russell写的每一首歌有不同的意见,比起别的作曲家我更享受演唱着他的歌。我唱着他写的任何东西,我爱他的态度,感情投入,和旋律。我自己不写歌,因为我要把这个留给更擅长的人。”

"我们就像兄弟一样。在我们的音乐生涯里,我们从来没有争吵,“他说。

“我们让彼此做更擅长的事情。他唱歌,我写歌。他通常都会给我一些创意,包括演出设计什么,而他做一些他自己的事情。他的嗓音依旧令人折服。”

一年超过100场的演出,Hitchcock承认他更需要照顾自己为了能够保持他的嗓音达到要求。

“在这个问题上,当我不在台上的时候,我试着去尝试放松,并且尽可能的去休息,”他说道。

“我关心我吃什么,并且从来不抽烟。我也不去参加一些年轻人的聚会。”

那可不意味着我不喜欢出去,和参观各个国家的城市。Hitchcock重申他喜欢参观以色列圣地耶路撒冷。但是他补充到乐队的重点是在演出上。

“我希望我们创造出的音乐能够流传很长的时间。我们已经演出了将近40年,现在我们能够看到很多歌迷带着他们的孙子来看演出的。” Hitchcock说。

”除开我们在排行榜上的成功,还有很多更重要的。我想要成为一个能够写出被永远记住,触动人心歌曲的人。”

全世界的Airheads一定会赞同这个观点的。
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册Airhead

本版积分规则

小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|联系站长| Air Supply China Fan Site (Since 2009.4.6)

Copyright © 2009-2023 Air Supply China Fan Site.   All Rights Reserved.