Air Supply空气补给中文网 | 华人全球唯一空气补给乐队中文论坛

查看: 8522|回复: 12

第一章:开始的日子 (The Early Years)

[复制链接]
发表于 2011-12-6 20:19 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
Chapter One:  The Early Years

scooterboy copy.jpg
Graham's Childhood Home - Arnold, England

Graham Russell was born on June 11, 1950 in the English industrial city of Nottingham. His father was a factory supervisor. A good job at the factory was considered a success in the north of England at that time, but the Russell’s were by no means wealthy. Graham attended High Street primary school and discovered at a young age that he was extremely shy. This made it difficult to express his feelings verbally. The one place that Graham felt most comfortable was the legendary Sherwood Forest, which was a stone’s throw away from his house. Graham often walked alone in the forest and spent hours reading books from authors such as Charles Dickens and D.H. Lawrence. It was also in this forest that Graham began writing poetry.

At age ten, Graham experienced a life changing event. “I had a traumatic experience,” he said. “My mother died. She had cancer, but I thought she had the flu or something. It had a profound effect on me. I didn’t speak to anybody for three months because I was in shock. I didn’t go to school and I couldn’t speak. I had a writing pad around my neck and I used to write things down. If my uncles and aunts would say hello, I’d write ‘hello’ down on the pad. Then I got so used to it that I started to make rhymes of it. It started to be this rough poetry. When I learned to play the guitar around this time, I started to make little tunes to go with the rhymes.”  

Graham as child 2.jpg

Graham wrote his first song when he was just twelve, and to learn guitar, he relied on the generosity of a neighbor. “I’d been to a dance and met a girl,” he said. “We danced all night, and I walked her home. After that, I couldn’t get her out of my mind. As I was walking home, I got a tune in my head and began humming it and adding words, so I wrote it down when I got home. It was called ‘Because I Love You So.’ A friend of mine at school named Ray Wood used to live across the road from me. He had a guitar and when I saw it I knew I had to play it. So when he handed it to me I accepted it upside down since I am left handed. I then learned my chords upside down and backyards. I should have re-strung it I suppose, but it gave me the ability to play a lot of chords that people can’t play.”

Graham was a self-taught musician, learning to play guitar, piano and drums by experimenting. His family was not necessarily considered musical but they did own a piano. “I taught myself to play drums,” he said. “The couch was my drum kit along with cardboard boxes and an authentic Ringo snare drum that was real plastic.The music I was exposed to at a very early age was the 50s stuff like Sinatra and Doris Day. We had a very small house but in the front room, which we were never allowed to go in because it was nice and tidy for company, we had an upright piano. I would sneak in there and play notes on the piano. Apart from that, there were no other musical entities in our house, besides a record player.”

younggr smaller.jpg
Graham the student  

Graham’s father eventually re-married and wanted to start a new life in Australia. It was assumed that Graham would join his family on this adventure, but he had other plans. He had just settled into his new school, Carlton Le Willows Technical School, and was quickly making new friends. “At school I was the only boy in my English Lit class, so I was treated very special by the other thirty girls,” said Graham. On the evening before the Russell family was to depart on a ship to Melbourne, Graham made a desperate decision. “At the last minute I ran away from home and went to my girlfriends house,” he said. “We were going to leave the next morning. I was just fourteen years old, and I never saw my dad again until I went to Australia five years after that. But that was fine with me. I wanted to be on my own and do my own thing. I went to live with my mother’s brother.”

It was during this period, while living at his uncle’s house, that Graham became infatuated with the music of the Beatles. Like many other kids, Graham dreamed of one day playing in a band and becoming famous. “I remember rushing home from school in 1963,” said Graham, “taking off my school uniform and listening to Pop Goes The Beatles, a radio show on the BBC. It really changed my life. I would go into the cellar at my house, but it was not really the cellar. It was the dungeon the Beatles played in. Light shone in through a tiny hole and it was like a stage. I could see my reflection on the wall, and I told myself that I’ve got to join a music group.”

In 1964, Graham’s dream to play in a band was realized when he was asked to play drums for a local rock band called the Nottingham Odd Fellas. They changed their name to Union Blues and got very popular in the Midlands. They played support act for such bands as Moody Blues and Small Faces in Nottingham, and were on the verge of a major breakthrough. But Graham felt most comfortable playing guitar and singing his own songs, and the band refused to play his music, as they preferred blues or early Clapton and John Mayall. So Graham quit the band. He continued writing songs on his own, and often enjoyed singing with his friend Tony Brough after a few pints at The White Horse pub. “Tony and I would sit for hours singing my new songs and eating all his mother’s cookies with mugs of tea,” said Graham. “Tony always said, ‘You are going to make it,’ and I believed him. I was writing five, six songs a week from the time I was twelve. I’d go to school but I would sit and write lyrics in class. I literally got thrown out of school when I was seventeen because they couldn’t do anything with me.”

the White Horse Graham Nottingham.jpg
The White Horse Pub

Graham married his high school sweetheart, Lynda, in 1967. He was just seventeen at the time. Their first child, Simon, was born on March 17, 1968. “I got a very early start on life,” said Graham. “I have always been a very independent person, and have always looked after myself. I had a job when I was just eleven, working in a supermarket stocking shelves. So it was no surprise at seventeen when I wanted to get married. So my life was set in front on me.”

It was four years since Graham’s family moved to Australia, and they often asked when he might consider joining them. “My father was there, and my sister with her family, and they kept saying, ‘Why don’t you come here and start fresh, and do what you really want to do,’” recalls Graham. After finishing high school Graham moved to Melbourne. He packed up his new family and travelled by boat, because they could not afford to fly. It was a relief to be reunited with his father and sister, and he liked Australia at first sight. “No gray skies, just beaches and fun,” said Graham. “Australians are more positive than the English; they’re outdoor people.” He found work as a sheet metal worker, a bread delivery man, and as a Scotties tissue packer, which involved loading large rolls of tissue onto a trolley before they were sorted into individual boxes. “Imagine a four-foot-in-diameter toilet roll weighing four hundred pounds,” said Graham. “I’d load a multi-colored assortment of these rolls into a giant machine, then each roll would go around and stream into tissue boxes.” Graham also got a job as a ditch digger but quit after just one day.

Traynors.jpg
Frank Traynor Folk Club - Melbourne

Graham joined a local Melbourne band called M.P.D., which included Rob Mackenzie on guitar and Tim Partridge on bass. Graham played drums, but practiced guitar at home. M.P.D. found plenty of work, but Graham was surprised to find that the Melbourne music scene was much like England’s; his new band played mostly blues and covers, very much like his former band. Graham preferred to be up front playing guitar and singing his own songs, so he quit M.P.D. and went solo. “[M.P.D.] played old blues songs and it wasn’t really my thing,” said Graham. “I just loved the big harmonies and simple songs that made you feel good. Playing round and round on twelve-bar blues was not for me. So I just gave drums up. I woke up one morning and sold them. I said, ‘I’ve had enough drums,’ and went back to guitar.”

Graham began performing on his own as a singer/songwriter, playing his own material with the occasional cover, in small pizza parlors and on the Melbourne campus circuit. He was his own manager, booking shows and doing the occasional TV spot. He did this for two years, and he built up quite a following. “I used to hustle for dates, but I had three regular shows in pizza parlors. I’m not sure if they are still around but one was Poppas Pizza. I would perform on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday and would make around $20 and get free pizza, which was great. I also used to play in this famous club in Melbourne called Traynors, and all the folkie people would go there. I used to love playing there because they had great guitar pickers. There was a guy named Graham Lowndes, and we became great friends. They were really first class. I was never a great guitar player or a great singer, but my package included my own songs. I would get about $5 a night because it was just a small coffee bar.”

On March 3, 1972, Graham and Linda welcomed their second child, Samantha, into their family. They enjoyed their suburban life, and Graham found that he was making a decent living playing his music. He performed small shows in Melbourne and Sydney over the next three years, but was beginning to think he would never make it big in the music business.

EditedRussellHouse.jpg
Russell's Childhood Home

Russell Hitchcock was born June 15, 1949, in Melbourne, Australia. Russell’s parents, Malcolm and Bettine, were both working class and managed several boarding houses around Melbourne. This meant that Russell and his older sister, Gail, lived in several houses throughout their childhood, mostly near the industrial part of town. One house was on a block with a brick-works on one side of the street and an iron foundry on the other.

The Hitchcock’s never owned a car because money was always tight. Malcolm also worked as a milkman, using a horse-drawn wagon to deliver the milk, and as a furnace operator in a laboratory. Bettine worked as a cook in a pub. “I lived in Melbourne in an area that was pretty industrial,” remembers Russell. “We never had much money so our entertainment was playing out in the street with the neighbourhood kids. There were about sixty of us, and we used to cause quite a ruckus! Because of the job my dad had we moved around quit a bit. By the time of my teen years, my sister and my parents ended up in one room in this boarding house, and the other room was the kitchen and dining room. As part of the deal, they got free rent if they managed the house. It was pretty hard going for a while for my folks. When your a kid you don’t realize if it’s good for you or bad for you. It’s just as it is because that’s your life. We always had food on the table, and were cleaned and dressed. We were respectful of everyone we met.”  

Russell looks back on his childhood fondly. Until he was twelve, a skin disorder kept him swathed in bandages. “I had to wear gloves to bed!” he exclaims. “I was a happy kid though.” While walking to South Brunswick School at age seven, Russell was hit by a truck. “I was walking to school crossing an intersection, and not paying attention,” he said. “This guy in a pickup comes around the corner and creamed me. I had one of those over-the-shoulder leather school bags, and it came up between my head and the road, which is probably all that stopped me from being seriously injured. My mother said that I was never right in the head after that.” While attending secondary school, Russell enjoyed playing baseball and honing his bowling skills. He played every position on the baseball diamond except shortstop, and is proud to have earned a high school letter for his contributions to the team. He jokes that this is one of his life’s greatest achievements.

There was always plenty of music in the Hitchcock house. Malcolm was an amateur singer who enjoyed listening to Tony Bennett and Frank Sinatra records. “My dad sang with big bands when he was a young man and my sister sang in Melbourne on a semi-professional basis, so music was always in the house,” recalls Russell. “I was interested in music at a very early age. I used to entertain my parent’s friends by tapping out complicated rhythms on an upturned saucer, for very small monetary reward.” Russell was drawn to singers with smooth sounds and delivery. He remembers when his sister got a job and could afford to buy a new record player - mostly because she used to beat him up when he played her records.

Beatles at Festival Hall.jpg

During his teenage years, everything changed for Russell after he first heard the Beatles. “One of my friends in school, David Poon, handed me a Beatles single,” said Russell. “I played this song and it blew my mind. After that I bought every magazine with the Beatles that I could find, and every record. Unfortunately, I didn’t have the hair to imitate their hair cuts because my hair was starting to get curly. But I wanted Beatles boots, Beatles jackets, everything I could get a hold of that was related to them.”

Beatles fans wait at airport in Melbourne 1964 Fans greet The Beatles at Melbour.jpg

On June 15, 1964, the Beatles were in Melbourne celebrating their reunion with Ringo Star, who had missed the early part of their world tour after being struck down by acute tonsillitis and pharyngitis. That night, and for the two subsequent nights, the Beatles performed two shows to a rowdy Melbourne crowd. Russell Hitchcock was one of 45,000 people who watched the concerts. “It was my fifteenth birthday,” said Russell, “and my cousin got us tickets to to see the Beatles live at a place called Festival Hall in Melbourne, which was basically just a barn. In those days, none of the instruments had microphones on them and they used these columns with four six inch speakers on either side of the stage for the vocals, so you really only got to hear anything every couple minutes because the crowd noise was deafening. But I was there and can say that I saw them. I became quit snobby in my musical tastes after hearing them because in that period, you were either a Rolling Stones fan or a Beatles fan. But you couldn’t be both. One of them were the boys next door and the other guys were supposed to be degenerates. I always liked people with good voices, and I always liked harmonies. I was blown away with the Beatles, the Eagles, the Bee Gees and Little River Band. When I was in my teens in Melbourne, I used to sneak into clubs and it was just amazing to see Billy Thorpe and the Purple Hearts.”

One of Russell’s earliest ambitions was to become an actor. He appeared briefly in a 1965 short film called Gift From A Stranger. The black and white eight-minute film was directed by Russell’s high school friend Chris Lofven, and starred David Poon, Helen Bermic and Frank Thring. Lofven went on to become a successful underground film director in Australia, for a time specializing in promotional music videos.

Buckely and Nunn Building bought by David Jones in 1982 Melbourne.jpg
Buckley & Nunn Department Store

At age sixteen, Russell dropped out of Princes Hill High School. “I tried unsuccessfully at school and we did not get along too great,” said Russell. “I think I was a good student, but I didn’t want to do homework. I wanted to get out and play. So, during my fifth year of high school I said that was enough for me. I was wasting my time and my parents money. I failed the State exams, and I was devastated. I got a job a couple days after I got my results. Not just to support myself, but to try and help my parents out. My sister and I both realized that if you want to get anywhere you have to work for it.”

Russell took a job selling suits in a small men’s wear shop in Melbourne, but was forced to leave when the store was sold and shut down. He found work at a large department store in Melbourne called Buckley & Nunn (Purchased by David Jones in 1982) where he sold suitcases and other travel accessories.

pix021007247crop.jpg

“The first job I had was in a clothing store, a very small one owned by an elderly gentleman,” recalls Russell. “There were only four or five people working in the store. I did that for about six months. Then the guy who owned the store, his son passed away, so he sold the business and found everyone in the store a new job [at Buckley & Nunn]. I did that for four or five years and I sold a lot of suitcases. I then got a job offer for this computer company called ICL, which was an English company with offices in Melbourne and Sydney. I just gave out spare parts because in those days hardware was hardware. Card punch machines. So I did this in Melbourne for three or four years and then they transferred me to Sydney to manage the spare parts division in 1973.”

Russell had no formal music training as a youth but he taught himself to play drums. He was also a naturally gifted singer with a soaring tenor voice and a three and a half octave range. He started playing in bands at age fifteen, eventually playing local universities with a band called 19th Generation. They were a rock and roll band that played the classic Johnny B. Goode style of material. Russell’s role in the band was drummer and lead vocalist, which he was quick to point out “isn’t the easiest thing in the world to be. I don’t know that I sang much, but I played drums with a friend from high school named Chris Lofven. I think he bought a bass because he wanted to be Paul McCartney or something. He knew that I had some kind of rhythm because my sister and dad had bought me a very basic drum kit for my birthday. Chris and I started to play with two other guys, and we did cover songs. We really didn’t do that much. We got a gig here and there on weekends.” When Chris Lofven left 19th Generation, Russell played part time in a band made up of Melbourne University students.

In 1969, twenty-year-old Russell decided to settle down and get married. They had a child on April 27, 1971, a boy named Jon. With the responsibility of marriage, a child and a full time job, Russell abandoned his music career. He stopped playing music because he couldn’t get anything together and didn’t like the trends at the time. “Up until I got into the music business, I was very conscious about security,” said Russell. “I wore a three-piece suit and I was really into the nine-to-five thing. I’d always wanted to get into music, but I didn’t because I thought you were supposed to have a menial job with a wife and two kids. I knew there was something missing in my life, but I didn’t know what it was.”  
 楼主| 发表于 2011-12-6 20:30 | 显示全部楼层
译文:  <转载请注明空气补给中文网>
  Graham Russell 1950年6月11日出生于英格兰工业城市诺丁汉。他的父亲是一位工厂的主管。这份工作在英格兰北部被认为是份成功的职业,但那时他们家里绝对不是富有的。Graham就读于High Street小学。在年纪小的时候,他是一个非常害羞的小男孩。这让他非常困难用口头来表达自己的情感。而让Graham感到最舒适的地方,就是离他家一石之遥的传奇的谢伍德(Sherwood)森林, Graham总是一个人在森林里漫步,花上大把大把的时间读Charles Dickens和D.H. Lawrence的书。也是在这段时期里,Graham在森林里开始写诗。

在10岁的时候, Graham经历了一次生命中的巨变。“我历经了一次惨痛的经历。”他说道:“我的母亲因为癌症去世了,但是我那时候只是认为她染上了流感之类的疾病。这对于我来说影响太大了。连续三个星期我没有和任何人讲话,因为我依然在震惊中。我没有去学校,因为我讲不出任何话来。我在我的脖子上挂了一个写字板,这样我可以经常把话写下来。假如入我的舅舅和婶婶向我问好,我会在板上写下“你好”。用了时间久了,我开始增加一些韵律进去。这就成了一些粗糙的诗歌。这个时候,我开始学习弹吉他,我开始创造一些简单的音调来配合这些韵律。”

在12岁的时候,Graham写了他生平第一首歌 “I’d been to a dance and met a girl.” 。为了学习吉他,Graham依靠了一个邻居的慷慨帮助。Graham回忆说,“我们整夜都在跳舞,然后我去了她家。从那以后,她深深的印在我脑海中了。当我走回家的时候,我脑海中浮现出了一个曲调然后蹦出了几个单词,所以当我到家后我把它写了下来。歌名叫做 ‘Because I Love You So’”。“我在学校里的一个叫Ray Wood的朋友过去住在我家的马路对面” 他重申到,“他有一把吉他,当我看到它的时候我就确信我必须去弹他。所以当他把吉他交到我手上的时候,我是颠倒着拿的,因为我是左撇子。然后我学习弹和弦的时候都是反着方向弹的。我原本应该重新学习正常的顺序,但是正是这样给了我弹出一些别人无法弹出的和弦的能力。”

Graham是一个自学成才的音乐家,通过自己不断摸索学会了吉他,钢琴和鼓。他的家中并不是必须要有音乐的,但是他们的确是拥有一台钢琴。“我自学了打鼓。” 他说。“我的鼓和纸板盒就是我的沙发。年纪很小的时候我完全暴露在音乐之中,那都是些50年代的东西就像Sinatra和Doris Day。我们住的是一个非常小的屋子,但是我们从来不允许去屋子前面走因为这对于一个公司来说也是非常漂亮和整洁的,我们有一个立式钢琴。 我会偷偷的在那里在钢琴上按琴键。此外,除了一个唱片机,没有别的任何乐器了。”  

Graham的父亲最终还是娶了别人,并且想要在澳大利亚重新开始新的生活。他认为Graham会加入他的新家庭,来开始这段新的冒险,但是Graham有着自己的打算。他只是进入了新的学校,Carlton Le Willows技术学校,并且很快收复了自信。在Russell一家准备离开去墨尔本的前一个晚上,Graham做出了一个绝望的决定,“在最后一分钟我飞奔的离开了家,”他说道。“我们原本在第二天早上离开的。我那时只有14岁,从此以后我再也没有见过我的父亲,直到去澳大利亚的5年之后。但是那对我来说却是非常的好。我想要成为我自己,我想要做我自己喜欢做的事情。我跑去和我舅舅一起住。”

也是在这个住在我舅舅家里的时期,Graham开始痴迷于the Beatles的音乐之中。“我记得在1963年,每天我放学后飞奔回家,脱掉校服开始听Pop Goes the Beatles,一档BBC的电台节目。这段时期真的改变了我的生活。”就像世界上别的孩子一样,Graham梦想着有朝一日能够加入乐队,成为明星。他经常去舅舅的地下室来幻想着于Beatles一起演出。“我想去我家的地窖,但是他不是一个真的地窖。那是一个Beatles演出的地牢。光线通过一个小洞照耀进来,就像一个舞台。我可以在墙上看到我自己的影子,我告诉自己,我必须要加入一个乐队。”

终于到了1964年,Graham加入乐队的梦想实现了,他被邀请到一个当地叫诺丁汉老伙计(Nottingham Odd Fellas)的摇滚乐队中打鼓。他们把乐队名字改成了Union Blues,并且在中部地区变得相当有名。乐队演奏诸如Moody Blues和Small Faces的歌,甚至有了很大的突破。但是Graham喜欢弹吉他和唱自己写的歌,但是乐队拒绝了演奏Graham的音乐,他们更喜欢布鲁斯音乐或者早期的Clapton和John Mayall。所以Graham退出了乐队。他继续写着自己的歌,并且在白马酒吧经常和他的朋友托尼(Tony)一起演唱。“Tony和我宁可坐几个小时唱我写的新歌也不愿意吃他母亲做的饼干盒茶。” Graham回忆道:“Tony总是说,你应该干这行。’而我也相信了他。12岁的时候我一个星期里不停的写出5,6首歌。我原本应该去学校的念书的,但是我宁愿在课上写歌词。17岁的时候,我被学校劝退了,因为我他们不能教我任何东西了。”

Graham在1967年娶了他的高中时候的情人Linda。那时他只有17岁。他们第一个孩子西蒙(Simon)在1968年3月17日出生了。“我很早就开始独立了。”Graham说,“我很早就自食其力了,我也学会了照顾自己。11岁时我有了第一份工作,在超市做货运工作。所以当我17岁结婚了这一点也不会感到意外。”

这已经是自从Graham一家搬到澳大利亚后的四年了,而他也经常被问及是否愿意考虑加入他们。“我父亲在那里,还有我的妹妹和她一家,他们也不断的说,‘为什么你不愿到这里来重新开始呢,你真的想这么做吗。’”Graham重申到。在完成高中学业后,Graham决定搬到Melbourne。他带着他的新家庭坐船去澳大利亚,因为他们负担不起昂贵的机票。和父亲妹妹重逢,让他感到了些许慰藉。他找了一些工作,诸如钣金工人,面包送递员,包装工人,这个工作就是把大卷纸在装进盒子前搬上手推车。“想象一下,一个4英尺直径的卫生纸,重达400磅,”Graham说道:“我要把这些多色卷纸装进一个巨大的机器里,每一卷都会被做成纸巾盒。”Graham也做过挖掘沟渠的工作,但是只做了一天就退出了。

在空闲时间,Graham加入一个当地乐队M.P.D.,乐队中Rob Mackenzie任吉他手,Tim Partridge任贝斯手,Graham是鼓手,但是他在家里却练习吉他。他惊讶的发现墨尔本的音乐氛围和英格兰相当的相似,他的新乐队和他过去的乐队一样大多时候都演奏布鲁斯和翻唱别人的歌。再一次的,乐队没有演奏Graham的歌,所以他决定去从事个人演出。“[M.P.D.]他们总是玩着那些老的布鲁斯歌曲,而这真的不是我喜欢的。” 他说道:“我就是喜欢那些庞大的旋律和声和一些让你感觉很舒适的简单的歌。演奏布鲁斯实在太不对我胃口了。所以我放弃了打鼓。早上起来我就卖了他们。我说,“我有太多的鼓了。”然后我回来开始玩吉他了。”

Graham开始在小披萨店里,墨尔本的大学校园里演唱自己的歌,偶尔也翻唱。他是自己的经纪人,预定演出,做临时的电视广告。“我经常因为日程繁忙而手忙脚乱,但是在披萨店我有三场固定的演出。我不确定现在他们是否还在,但是其中一个就是Poppas Pizza。我在星期三,星期四和星期六都有演出,大约能挣到大约$20并且得到免费的披萨,这真是相当的棒。我也曾经经常在墨尔本一家著名的名叫Traynors的俱乐部演出,很多人都会去那里。过去我非常喜欢在那里演出,因为他们那里有很棒的吉他Pickers。那个家伙叫Graham Lowndes,我们成为了好朋友。我从来都不是一个好的吉他手或者好的歌手。我一晚上只赚5美元,因为这真的是个很小的咖啡吧。”

在1972年3月3日,Graham和Linda 迎来了他们家庭中的第二个孩子Samantha。他们享受他们的乡村生活,Graham发现他正在用演奏他的音乐来创造更好的生活。在接下来的三年里,他在墨尔本和悉尼做小型的演出,但是从来没有想到把他的音乐生涯变的更大,“我需要做一些突破,并且做一些非同寻常的。”Graham说。

Russell Hitchcock于1949年6月15日出生于澳大利亚墨尔本。Russell的父母, Malcolm 和Bettine都是工人阶级并且在墨尔本周边经营着一些旅馆。这意味着Russell和他的姐姐Gail童年居住在好几栋小屋里,大多靠近小镇的工业区。其中一栋房屋是靠近路的一边砖结构,另一边是铁结构的房屋。

由于资金紧张,希区柯克一家从来没有拥有过一辆车。Malcolm是送奶工,用马车送牛奶,在实验室里当操作工。Bettine在酒吧里当厨师。“我住在墨尔本的工业区。” Russell回忆道:“我们从来没有很多钱所以我们的娱乐活动大多就是在街上和邻居伙伴玩耍。那里有我们的大约60个伙伴,而我们经常引起很大的骚动!”

Russell他回看自己的童年,觉得很天真。直到12岁,一种皮肤病使他要缠上很多绷带。“我不得不在床上戴手套!” 他感叹道。 他说道, “尽管这样,我依旧是一个快乐的孩子。” 当他7岁一天走在去南布伦瑞克周立学校的路上时,Russell被一辆卡车撞了一下。“我走在去学校路上,没有太多注意”,他说道,“这家伙的一辆皮卡撞上了我。我的过肩皮书包挡在我的头和车子之间,这也可能避免了我遭受更严重的伤。”当我进入中学后,Russell爱上了棒球和保龄球。他能玩所有的位置除了游击手,他也荣幸的得到了高中推荐信由于他对球队的贡献。他开玩笑说着是他生命中最大的成就了。

在Hitchcock的家里总是有大量的音乐陪伴,Malcolm是一个业余歌手,喜欢听Tony Bennett和Frank Sinatra的唱片。“我父亲年轻时候在一个大乐队里唱歌我姐姐在墨尔本也是一位半专业歌手,所以音乐在我家里一直是不间断的”Russell重申道。在童年时,Russell 用美妙的声音唱歌吸引着别人。他回忆,当时他的姐姐得到一份工作并且能够负担起一台新的唱片机。

在他的童年时,当Russell第一次听到了Beatles,所有东西都改变了。“我的一个学校里的好友David Poon递给了我一张Beatles的单曲碟”,Russell说,“我听了这首歌,棒的几乎要炸开了我的脑子了。所以我买了所有我能买到的有关Beatles的杂志和唱片。可是不幸的是我没法留他们那样的头发,我的头发是卷的。但是我想要拥有Bealtes靴子,夹克和任何他们有关的纪念品。”

1964年6月15日,the Beatles在墨尔本与Ringo Starr一起庆祝他们的重组,Ringo由于急性扁桃体咽炎错过了他们的世界巡演。那晚和接下去的两晚,the Beatles在墨尔本观众面前演出。Russell Hitchcock是这45000人中的一员。“这是我的15岁生日。” Russell说,“当我15岁生日的时候,我的表妹给了我们几张Beatles演唱会的票演出地点是在墨尔本一个叫Festival Hall的地方,这地方几乎就是一个谷仓。在那几天里, 他们没有用任何麦克风,他们用4个6寸的扬声器放置在舞台的每一边,所以你真的只能听到每隔几分钟的一些声音,因为人群的噪声真的是令人震耳欲聋。然而我在那里,我可以说我看见他们了。在听过他们演出之后我的音乐品味变得不那么绅士了,因为在那段时期里,你要么是一个滚石乐队(the Rolling Stones)的歌迷要么是一个披头士(the Beatles)的歌迷。但是你不可以都是。我总是喜欢那些声音很棒的人,我也总是喜欢漂亮的和声。我被Beatles,the Eagles,the Bee Gees和Little River Band所感染。我在墨尔本度过了青少年时代,我经常偷偷摸摸溜进俱乐部,能看到Billy Thorp和the Purple Hearts是一件令人兴奋惊奇的事情。

Russell最早的一个雄心梦想就是成为一名演员。1965年他在一部名叫Gift From A Stranger的短片中短暂出镜。这部8分钟的黑白短片由Russell的高中朋友Chris Lofven导演,由David Poon, Helen Bermic和Frank Thring主演。Lofven接下去在澳大利亚成为了一名著名地下片导演。一段时间曾经推广MV。

在16岁的时候,Russell从王子山二级学院(Princes Hill Secondary College)里辍学了。“我在学校里并不成功,我们没有相处了很好。”Russell说:“我认为我是一个好学生,但是我只是不想做家庭作业。我想要出去玩。所以,我在第五年高中生涯的时候,我对自己说,好了,我受够了,我正在浪费我父母的钱。” 我没能通过期末考试。我试着出去找工作,不仅仅是为了自己也是为了给家人分担负担。我姐姐和我斗意识到如果想要去别的地方那就必须自己挣。”

Russell在墨尔本一个小个子男人的商店里卖衣服,直到商店倒闭后被迫离开。之后他在一家墨尔本百货商店Buckley & Nunn (1982年被David Jones收购) 找到了卖衣服和饰品的工作。

“我的第一份工作是在一个小个子绅士的店里卖衣服。” Russell说道, “店里总共只有4,5个人。大约6个月后,店主的儿子去世了,他卖掉了商店,让店里所有的工作人员都送去一份在Buckley & Nunn的新工作。我在那里干了4,5年,出售衣服。然后我去了一家名叫ICL的电脑公司,这是一家英国公司,在墨尔本和悉尼设有办公室。我负责发放备件,因为在那时,硬件就是硬件。打卡机。所以我在墨尔本干了3,4年,然后1973年他们把我转去了悉尼备件管理分部。”

Russell在童年没有受过专业的音乐训练,他自学打鼓,尽管玩了不是太好,他开玩笑道。同时,他有着唱歌的天赋,有着完美的嗓音,和几乎跨越四个八度的音域。在15岁的时候他开始玩乐队,甚至加入了一个名叫‘第19代’(19th Generation)的乐队。这是一支摇滚乐队,他们演奏经典的Johnny B. Goode风格的歌曲。Russell是乐队的鼓手和主唱,他指出:“这可不是乐队中最轻松的活,之前我可唱了不多,但是我和高中朋友Chris Lofven一起加入了乐队。我想他买了一把贝斯是因为他想成为Paul McCartney。我姐姐和我父亲在我生日的时候买了一套很基本的鼓套装。Chris和我开始和另两个家伙一起组乐队,我们翻唱了很多歌。我们每个周末都会在各地演出。” 当Chris Lofven离开19th Generation乐队的时候,Russell在乐队中兼职演出。

在1969年,Russell决定定居下来并且结婚。一年后,Russell和他的妻子庆祝他们第一个孩子的出生,第一个儿子取名叫Jon。带着对于婚姻和一个孩子的负责Russell被迫抛弃了他的音乐生涯。“我一直想要从事音乐,但是我不能,因为我不能只是做着一些零散的工作来抚养妻子和两个孩子。”Russell说。尽管拥有一个稳定的工作和一个全新的家庭, Russell并不满足他的生活的步伐。“我知道在我生命中一定缺少了什么,虽然我不知道那是什么。”
匿名  发表于 2011-12-6 21:29
支持一下楼主,好资料
匿名  发表于 2011-12-6 21:29
支持一下楼主,好资料
 楼主| 发表于 2011-12-6 21:31 | 显示全部楼层
谢谢啊,连载中,请大家时刻关注喔~
发表于 2011-12-7 11:16 | 显示全部楼层
几乎四个八度。。。恐怖的音域啊
 楼主| 发表于 2011-12-7 19:03 | 显示全部楼层
一共21章,请大家耐心等候:)
发表于 2011-12-8 13:21 | 显示全部楼层
站长牛啊,每天都在进行翻译工作,辛苦了
 楼主| 发表于 2011-12-8 15:43 | 显示全部楼层
chapter two 正在working中。。{:4_83:}
发表于 2011-12-8 19:02 | 显示全部楼层
这个要顶啊,超喜欢air的!
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册Airhead

本版积分规则

小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|联系站长| Air Supply China Fan Site (Since 2009.4.6)

Copyright © 2009-2023 Air Supply China Fan Site.   All Rights Reserved.