Air Supply空气补给中文网 | 华人全球唯一空气补给乐队中文论坛

查看: 5505|回复: 3

第三章:CBS唱片公司 (1976)(CBS Records)

[复制链接]
发表于 2011-12-19 19:17 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
Chapter Three: CBS Records (1976)

grearlydays copy.jpg
Jeremy Paul (Right)

Jesus Christ Superstar continued its successful run into 1976 with performances in Adelaide, Melbourne, Perth and Sydney. Joining Superstar in February for the Brisbane leg of the tour was Jeremy Paul, the brother-in-law to Superstar producer Harry M. Miller. Jeremy had just finished a tour with the stage play Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat, and was previously the bass player in a band called Soffrok. Soffrok, who’s name was almost always spelled incorrectly, had a Top 40 single in Australia with ‘Set Me Free.’ Jeremy had a brief run as a solo artist in 1972 when he released his one and only single ‘What Becomes Of You My Love.’ He went to Europe for two years as a solo artist doing sessions and clubs. “My mother plays piano and so does my sister,” said Jeremy, “and the idea was for me to play piano too. But I went through what I think a lot of kids can identify with their parents wanting them to do something, and the obvious thing is to play the piano. But unfortunately the majority of old ladies who teach kids to play usually lose the kid’s interest very quickly, and that’s what happened to me. The next bribe was a guitar to develop the boy in other areas besides scholastic and sporting.”  

Russell and Graham invited Jeremy to join them, where they juggled Superstar with their own live shows, which usually took place after 10:30PM, when Superstar wrapped up. “We got the concept for the band when Jeremy joined us, said Graham. “I had this idea for the band; I knew what I wanted it to be like, and I think Russell did too - we were thinking along the same lines. Then Jeremy joined and he played bass. I remember we were sitting in the theatre one day watching somebody rehearse, and I said, ‘Do you play a musical instrument?’ and he said, ‘Yeah, I play bass.’ I said, ‘Yeah, I thought you did.’ And it all went from there. The music was vastly different when Chrissie was in the group, before Jeremy joined - as we had just acoustic guitar, congas and three vocals. But now with Jeremy’s voice there’s more bottom in it, because Jeremy’s a baritone, same as me. Jeremy usually sings the low lines which give it more bottom and more depth. You can tell he’s been trained when he sings solo things because he’s definitely got more control than me and perhaps more than Russell has sometimes.”   

Soffrok with Jeremy Paul edit.jpg
Jeremy Paul with Soffrok

Russell’s unique and powerful voice was admired by many in the Superstar cast, including Jon English. Jon was working on his third solo album and he had Russell sing backup vocals on two songs: ‘Laughing At The Guru’ and ‘If You Think You’re Groovy.’ Russell was also credited for playing percussion. Jon released his album, ‘Hollywood Seven,’ in May 1976, and its first single (‘Hollywood Seven’) was a big radio hit in Australia and New Zealand.

Russell and Chrissie Hammond sang harmony vocals on a song called ‘Take My Hand,’ from Australian country singer Anne Kirkpatrick’s second album: ‘Let The Songs Keep Flowing Strong & Naturally.’  Kirkpatrick, the daughter of legendary Australian country singers Slim Dusty and Joy McKean, released her album in 1976 to rave reviews. After just one year in Superstar, Russell now had experience in the recording business as a session musician.

By the summer of 1976, Graham, Russell and Jeremy were considered an exceptional live band and were already thinking about careers in music after Superstar. They recorded three of Graham’s compositions onto a tiny cassette player during Superstar’s tour in Melbourne; ‘Love and Other Bruises,’ ‘Empty Pages’ and ‘If You Knew Me.’ Superstar music director Frank Esler-Smith suggested several important adjustments to ‘Love and Other Bruises,’ a song that Graham wrote several years earlier and had performed live with Chrissie Hammond. Hammond and Graham knew the song had huge potential because it always got a great response at pubs and coffee houses. When Russell first heard it he was blown away.

“We decided to make a demo one afternoon in the pit of the orchestra,” recalls Graham. “We hired the keyboard player and musical director (Frank Esler-Smith), and the drummer (Danny Groves) to play in the pit, and we made this demo on a one track cassette recorder, straight down. The hired musicians hadn’t heard the songs before, we just wrote out rough charts for them. When we played it back we were amazed because all of the harmonies were there and everything was happening. We took it around to all the record companies and they all laughed at us.” But Graham’s persistence paid off when he took the demo to Peter Dawkins at CBS in Sydney. Dawkins and Graham were already friends from when they met a few years earlier, but Graham was not aware that Dawkins had become the resident producer for CBS. Much to Dawkins delight, Air Supply essentially fell into his lap. “CBS had just begun their operations in Australia at that time, so they were looking for new things,” said Graham. “Peter Dawkins fell in love with it and thought it would be a hit song.”

JCS 1976 Jesus and Judas Entrance.jpg
Holding Canopy Over Jesus (Superstar)

Peter Dawkins was well known in the Australian recording industry, mostly through his work in the early 70s with the band Ariel, and as producer with Festival Records. He moved to CBS in 1975, where he was promised a production royalty for as long as he was with the company, plus various other incentives, just to get him on board. CBS was desperate to create a domestic local roster, and they told Dawkins to ‘spend whatever you like’ to make it happen. He quickly signed Ariel, and later inked a deal with New Zealand/Australian rock band Dragon, who he lured away from Polygram after hearing them perform at the Recovery Wine Bar.

“Air Supply came to me,” said Peter Dawkins. “I’d seen them originally when they came up from Melbourne, and they consisted of Chrissie Hammond and Graham Russell. I think that Russell Hitchcock was with them, but I’m not sure about that. But anyway, I knew basically what they were all about. Then three guys came into my office, Jeremy Paul, Russell Hitchcock and Graham Russell as a trio, and I was sort of familiar with their work. They appeared in my office before I had auditioned them live, and I found myself falling in love with their music. It was a tape they had made and it showed off their vocal prowess and composing ability. The tape had three songs on it. Two I believed were hits if recorded properly; ‘Love and Other Bruises’ and ‘Empty Pages.’ So I offered them a contract on the spot. I literally pulled it out of the drawer and said take this away and get your lawyer to have a look at it or whatever you’ve got to do. Because they were an experienced part of the cast of Jesus Christ Superstar, I had quite a different approach to them. Instead of insisting I see them live, I accepted that they could perform; went about putting them with prospective management and asked the trio if they could get another couple of players.”

Following their first meeting with Peter Dawkins, Air Supply recorded additional independent demo tapes in Sydney, and considered offers from two other record companies. They signed with CBS in July to record a single, but not an entire album. It was common for record companies to introduce a new artist by releasing a single. If this did well, a second single might follow, then an LP that contained both singles and several other new songs. Russell remembers the morning they first signed the contract because it led to a poor performance in Superstar that afternoon. “The day we got signed by CBS we were working in Superstar, and we went out for lunch with Peter Dawkins to celebrate. We had a few drinks and could barely scratch ourselves. At the start of the show, Graham and I, plus two other guys had to lift up these huge poles and hold this canopy over Jesus when he walked down. We almost took Jesus out! We got in a lot of trouble for that, but fortunately, they let us stay.”

Studio 2 Albert Studios Bruce Brown.jpg
Studio 2                                    Bruce Brown (Left)

With the new contract in hand, the band joined producer Peter Dawkins and engineer Bruce Brown at Albert Recording Studio in Sydney. It was one of the major recording studios in Australia, having gained a reputation as a real rock and roll studio because bands like AC/DC, Rose Tattoo, The Angels and John Paul Young recorded there. One of the walls in Albert Studio 1 was covered in graffiti created by many famous musicians. Air Supply recorded in Studio 2, which was built in 1976 to help alleviate the demand for Studio 1. The control room in Studio 2 was designed with wood paneling on the front wall and half of the side walls to make it acoustically live in the front and dead in the back. Included in Air Supply’s recording session was drummer Graeme Pearce and pianist Peter Deacon, both session musicians. Everyone in the studio was immediately blown away when Russell sang the vocals for ‘Love and Other Bruises,’ especially when he took it up an octave during the songs climax. “We all just looked at each other,” said Graham. “When we heard it back I knew it was one of those songs that would be around for a long time. I knew when I wrote it that it was going to be a big song, although I sat on it for ages and ages, over three years.”

The trio recorded two songs in just four hours, and CBS hoped to release ‘Love and Other Bruises’ as the debut single as soon as possible. The quick turnaround might have surprised the band, because Dawkins had a reputation as a producer who demanded perfection. “Being in the studio, I was as fastidious and as much of a pain in the arse as you can imagine,” said Dawkins. “I demanded a lot, I expected a lot, and I got as much as I could, because I knew the moment you walked out of there, it was finished with.”  

The band did not have a name at this point, and was told that they would need a come up with something by the next morning so that the single could be released. Russell remembers asking his co-workers for advice. “We asked the cast members [in Superstar] to make some suggestions and they didn’t take us seriously at all. I got really angry because of some of the names they thought we should use.” The next morning, Graham suggested a band name. “We knew the next day we needed a name,” said Graham, “so we said whoever comes up with the best name, we would go with that. [That night] I had a dream which featured a big billboard with flashing lights in multiple colors, and the center said Air Supply. We never knew what it meant. Years later we learned that air means melody, but we had no idea at the time.”

‘Love and Other Bruises’ had potential to be a strong commercial single, but its success was by no means a sure thing. Despite a 20% local content quota, it was very difficult for new bands to get played on Australian radio during prime time. Australian records were often programmed late at night with American and U.K. singles dominating prime time. Unless you were Sherbet, Marcia Hines or Skyhooks, radio was hesitant to add a new Australian single into heavy rotation. Johnny O’Keefe, one of Australia’s most accomplished rock performers, believed that local content quota should have been increased to 33-1/3% - the rate of a long playing record. The head of the Australian Musicians’ Union believed that radio stations would rather play a hit tune 20 times, instead of 20 different records. “They have a habit of selecting what’s already popular, rather than doing anything that plugs a new record,” he said.   

Love and Other Bruises 45 Release 1976 Release copy.jpg
CBS Australian Pressing                     Peter Dawkins

‘Love and Other Bruises’ was released, under the name of Air Supply, in late September of 1976. It immediately earned radio play from 5KA in Adelaide, who was the first radio station to recognize and acknowledge Air Supply. 5KA disc jockey Dave Barnett recognized ‘Love and Other Bruises’ as a classy Australian single. “They write their own songs, and there is no other Australian band like them,” said Barnett. “They’re really smooth and professional. They have really nice production on the single.”

2GB in Sydney was the only other radio station playing the single, but it came when the station was experiencing tumultuous staff problems and the single got lost in the resignations and dismissals of disc jockeys and programmers. It was not until mid November, when Air Supply came to Adelaide to play for a week, that Graham received a phone call saying that the Eastern states had picked up ‘Love and Other Bruises.’ 2SM in Sydney and 3XY in Melbourne made up for lost time and enthusiastically got behind the single. By late November, ‘Love and Other Bruises’ was in heavy rotation throughout most of Australia, and by Christmas it was in the Top 10 all over the country.

Music fans welcomed the melodic song from Air Supply, which was much different than anything else on the radio. RAM magazine described it as “having three well-baited hooks. A very good pop song. Russell Hitchcock’s unusually clear, emotional lead vocal makes it stick.” Denis Handlin, Australian Recording Industry Association Chairman, felt that ‘Love and Other Bruises’ was a song that had Peter Dawkins written all over it. “Just a class above everything else for production technique,” said Handlin. “Peter knew how to get the best out of the artists, how to bring out the real creative brilliance. I first got close to Peter when he worked with Air Supply. I had just moved to Sydney in 1976. Peter had a real interest in the follow through of marketing, promotions and sales. Some people in the Australian music scene would say, ‘Well, it was a hit when it left my office,’ but Peter would never let go. He would spend all that time in the studio, and he would be with that record all the way through until it had sold all the records it possibly could. He wouldn’t sign-off on something in the studio until he got near perfection. That could be the rawness in a song that was just down-and-dirty rock and roll, or a beautiful Air Supply ballad.”

Doug Henderson Air Supply First Manager_edited-1.jpg
Doug Henderson

‘Love and Other Bruises’ reached #6 on the Kent Music Report in January of 1977, and charted for 28 weeks. It was #64 on the National Top 100 Singles Chart for 1977. As expected by CBS, the single sold very well. They quickly signed Air Supply to record an album, which also placed the band under the direction of CBS Australia for five years. On the recommendation of Peter Dawkins, Air Supply hired Doug Henderson as their band manager. Born in Timaru, New Zealand, Henderson was the guitar player in a band called The Falcons in the 60s, which for a very short period included Peter Dawkins on drums. In 1970, Henderson moved to Sydney and got into artist management.

While Graham, Russell and Jeremy were performing in Superstar, they were not allowed to promote themselves as Air Supply because the Superstar contract stipulated that most cast members could promote only the show. When ‘Love and Other Bruises’ debuted on 5KA radio, the public had no idea who Air Supply was. During the final weeks of Superstar in October, Air Supply performed at coffee houses and small clubs, and when they played ‘Love and Other Bruises,’ the audience was amazed at the acoustic version, and how well Russell Hitchcock could imitate Air Supply’s mysterious singer. “Suddenly there was this band that no one knew anything about called Air Supply,” said Graham. “‘Love and Other Bruises’ was at the top of the charts, but no one knew anything about us! We had never done an interview or anything. We were just very lucky to get our single on the radio, and it just took off. It was just the right time, but it was very different because it was a big ballad.”

Official 1976 video Love and Other Bruises.jpg
‘Love And Other Bruises’ Video

Rumours persisted that Air Supply was a band from the West Coast of America. Trevor White, who played Jesus in Superstar and had toured Australia and New Zealand with English rock group Sounds Incorporated, knew exactly what Air Supply was going through. Trevor had a Top 40 hit while he was a member of the cast, but felt it could have been much bigger had he been able to promote himself. “You need to get out and be seen for all the other things you can do,” he said. “For the past few years, everyone has seen me in the role of Christ, because I’ve played into the character of the role. But it’s better to be known for something than for nothing.”

Air Supply returned to Albert Studio to sing backup vocals for a song called ‘This Time’ from Dragon, which was released as their second CBS single in September 1976. Their first Australian single (‘Wait Until Tomorrow’) had flopped, and CBS gave them one last chance to produce a hit. ‘This Time’ peaked at #26 on the Australian charts in November, and was included on Dragon’s 1977 gold certified album ‘Sunshine.’ “We sang on Dragon’s first record because they weren’t really sure about harmonies or anything,” said Graham. “So they asked us to come play on their record. Russell and I sang all the backup vocals on ‘This Time,’ and we hoped that they would return the favour someday.”

TV Times March 26 1977 Air Supply Poster.jpg

On October 16, Jesus Christ Superstar held its final show in Sydney, ending a successful run that had lasted over 18 months. Contractually, Air Supply was now free to promote themselves. “Superstar was a great lesson, in that we did the same show every single night,” said Russell. “We couldn’t change the order of the songs. Being directed and told where to be, at what time, gave us professionalism, and we got confidence from playing to big crowds. Graham and I were born out of the same test tube at the start of the show. We both got in there and crouched down in these loin cloth things that we wore. The house lights went down to signal the start of the show and we would both say how much we didn’t want to do this at all. But once the overture started, it was like somebody turned on the power for us. Every single night, for 600 shows, we were never bored, never disinterested, and always gave it one hundred percent.”

“Superstar exemplified my own sense of achievement in theatre,” said legendary Australian promoter and producer Harry M. Miller in 1983. “The production cradled so much young talent and creative ingenuity that I would be proud to be judged by it alone as my contribution to theatre in Australia. Of the many recollected joys I am perhaps fondest of the way in which the show acted as a catalyst on the careers of many of its contributors. I think particularly of Jon English who played the part of Judas magnificently throughout Superstars’s four-year run and went on to carve a career of prodigious success as an actor, singer and concert entertainer. Superstar also was the cradle for the group which has become internationally acclaimed as Air Supply. Graham Russell and Russell Hitchcock, two young tyro musicians, had been in the cast for a year or so as Apostles and principal understudies. Jeremy Paul, [my wife] Wendy’s younger brother, joined the cast on his merits early in 1976 and quickly discovered that the three of them had common musical ambitions. He helped translate ambition into achievement. Soon after Superstar closed in October 1976, Air Supply was up and away. Jeremy is no longer with the group but my vicarious pride in its success is no less keen.”

Air Supply Strangers In Love 1976 Debut LP.jpg
'Strangers In Love' - Japan CBS/Epic

Air Supply found themselves back in the studio on Monday, October 18, just two days after Superstar closed. Peter Dawkins and the band worked feverishly for five straight days at EMI Studios (used by INXS and AC/DC) in Sydney, and finished the album before the following weekend. The sound on the album was mostly similar in style to ‘Love and Other Bruises.’ It had an organic and raw quality, the result of using very few technical effects in the studio. Graham and Jeremy used no effects on their guitars, although Graham hoped to experiment with guitar phaser foot-pedals on future albums. Russell used no effects on his voice. Most of his vocals were recorded with just a single track, something that was quite rare at the time. Double tracking was the norm with most lead singers because it gave the vocal a fuller, more appealing sound, especially for singers with a weak voice. Russell’s single tracking was an indication of the strength and quality of his voice.  

The new studio and touring band included drummer Jeff Browne, guitarist Mark McEntee and keyboardist and arranger Adrian Scott. The entire band promoted themselves as peachy clean, with none of the rough edges like other rocks bands in Australia. “We always wanted to keep the band on a level that was different to anything else in Australia,” said Russell. “We wanted to have a classy image, to look good. And we wanted the product to sound good. You can’t describe the music, people will just have to hear it. It’s sort of new music, not aggressive rock, and very melodic.”

During the final weeks of Superstar, Trevor White, Jon English and Air Supply inked a deal to tour Australia together in November and December, in a show called Superstar in Revue. It was a opportunity to piggyback on the success of Superstar. They performed in Queensland and some of New South Wales, but due to the increasing demands on Air Supply, and a few management problems Jon English was having, the show had to be cancelled. The shortened tour gave Air Supply significant exposure and their popularity climbed quickly, but the band was still closely associated with the Superstar brand. They needed to create their own identity. “I always think of Superstar as Jon and Trevor,” said Graham. “Maybe Mary Magdalene but not as much as Jon and Trevor; they’ll never get rid of it, not for a long time. It’s an honour and an incredible recommendation coming from a show like that, because it was such an experience doing it. We couldn’t have wished for more really. None of us will be upset with the association with Superstar, but I daresay as none of us played major roles it will disappear completely within a couple of months.”

first album.jpg

In December 1976, just two weeks after final production, the self-titled album (CBS SBP 234929) was released. It was originally set to debut in February, but Air Supply’s phenomenal speed of success forced CBS to release it 14 weeks early. It sold very well in Australia, and reached a high of #17 on the National Album Chart in January of 1977. The album’s cover photo and design was described as one of the finest to come out of Australia that year. “We went into the alley simply to make people aware of where we came from, because we all came from the streets,” said Graham. “The crystal ball signifies the music which is all white and pure, not aggressive at all. That’s where we get all our inspiration from, and we’re looking to the crystal ball to find a way out.” Rainbow Music Group, under licence from CBS Australia, reissued the album in 1977 (RSVLP 002). CBS/Epic reissued the album in 1980 in Japan, where it was titled ‘Strangers In Love’ (25-3P-232) and featured different cover art.

Reviews of the album in Australia were extremely positive:

Right from the opening bars, this album shapes up as one of the best soft rock albums to arrive from an Australian performer this year. Tight, professional, intelligently produced by Peter Dawkins, Air Supply might not play heavy charismatic rock but they construct and deliver their soft rock flawlessly. ‘Love and Other Bruises’ is the feature cut of the LP, naturally, and the same lead voice handles about half the others. But the overall variety of the lead vocals, when the other two members of the trio that make up Air Supply tackle songs as well, provides for enough color to keep the disc fresh over the length of two sides. This album will have no trouble succeeding in the pop and maybe even MOR markets, and to all you hard-rock freaks out there I give you this ancient saying: good soft rock is infinitely better than bad hard rock. - Al Webb, Juke

Juke Jan 22 1977 Edit_edited-1.jpg

The more you listen to this record, the more you appreciate the 3-D production and finesse of the sound. Contrary to popular (and record company) opinion, I don’t think Graham Russell’s songs (on the musical side) are spectacularly different from others in the same field (some, like ‘Secret Agent,’ do stand out above the others on the album), but it’s what they do with them that counts, which includes production, subtle arrangements (unschmaltzy) and beautifully controlled singing. [The lyrics] lack the individual eccentricity to make them great, but eccentricity isn’t what Air Supply are about, and Russell’s lyrics are solid in their own right, mainly about love and other bruising day-to-day emotions. - Juke

The real stars of Jesus Christ Superstar may turn out to be three fellows by the names of Graham, Russell and Jeremy, all members of the show’s second touring company. Combining under the name of Air Supply they’ve turned out as good a debut album it’s been our pleasure to hear - fine arrangements and production, decisive harmonies, discreet but appropriate backing, it’s got the lot. The eloquent ‘Love And Other Bruises’ has been getting its fair share of air play; it’s a delicious ballad that can take its place among similar songs anywhere. But so could the discoish ‘Feel The Breeze’ and ‘We Are All Alone’ and the harmonically excellent ‘It’s Not Easy’ and ‘The Weight Is My Soul.’ Air Supply’s great strength apart from Russell’s prolific writing - he wrote every song on the album - is its vocal strength - nurtured no doubt by its many nights of JC Superstar proximity - and its fine musical backing. - Paul Speelman & Mike Daly, The Age

Air Supply are three young guys who met while performing in the last Sydney production of Jesus Christ Superstar. When that show folded they decided to get together and form a group and launch themselves into the pop market. It was obviously the right move because, as this debut album proves, they have a big future. Within weeks of the album’s release the track ‘Love and Other Bruises’ was climbing up the Top 40 charts all over the country. - David Ramsey, The Australian Woman’s Weekly

Countdown Love and Other Bruises 1976 December 5.jpg
Countdown Performance - December 5, 1976

On December 5, Air Supply performed ‘Love and Other Bruises’ on the Australian TV music show Countdown. The show had had Air Supply on its radar since April, at which point the band was barely established. Countdown was the most popular music television show in Australia and it had a strong influence on radio programmers. It could, with just one play and an endorsement, shoot a single into the charts. It was no coincidence that ‘Love and Other Bruises’ raced into the Top 10 after Air Supply appeared on Countdown.

“You didn’t have to rely on radio solely,” said record label executive Michael Gudinksi. “You could do a Countdown show and next week, if your song was good, you would see the sales. You would get into everyone’s lounge room. It was really a part of life to sit down on Sunday night, and whether you liked the bands or you didn’t, it was just a talking point of the week.”

Countdown was broadcast nationwide on Australia’s government-owned ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation), and it featured a high content of Australian acts. An Australian content rule insisted that 20% of music aired on radio have some form of Australian involvement, and Countdown often exceeded this requirement. National television had similar content rules. Countdown’s popularity faded in the late 70s, but Air Supply’s appearance in 1976 gave the band a visual presence in Australia. It gave them an identity other than ‘the guys from Superstar.’

EMI’s national promotions manager, Rob Walker, stressed the importance of television for Australian acts: “In promotional terms, the Australian record market is unique because of the strong influence exerted by television. Apart from the weekly rock shows, we have over 70 other television programs that recognize the importance of contemporary music and have formats flexible enough to allow the regular inclusion of film clips, interviews and live performances.” It is claimed that the Australian music industry had the highest level of television exposure of any country in the world.

Festival of Sydney New Years Eve 1976_edited-1.jpg
Festival of Sydney - Dec 31, 1976

On December 26, Air Supply played the Sydney Flemington Market. Organizers of the Flemington concert, the first to be held at the market, predicted that the building would become a regular venue for performances by top rock groups. Hundreds of teenagers attended the day-long session of rock music at the market, which included twelve groups.

Air Supply was now in demand all over Australia. They were invited to perform at a New Years Eve celebration outside the Sydney Opera House. The free outdoor concert was just the start of a month-long series of events to celebrate the Festival of Sydney. Performing on the main stage was Renee Geyer, John Paul Young and the Allstars, Air Supply and the full Australian Opera and the Elizabethan Sydney Orchestra. To accommodate the event, a specially constructed transparent sound-shell was built on the southern staircase of the Opera House, along with a lighting tower and two follow spot towers. The sides of the stage were stacked with an endless supply of JBL speakers. The show got underway at 8 p.m. when master of ceremonies Harry M. Miller introduced the evenings first band; Air Supply. But just before they took the stage, four fire trucks, with sirens sounding, drove through an emergency lane to the Opera House to a suspected fire in the kitchen. After the dust settled, Air Supply performed songs from their debut album for a crowd of 90,000, who sat on rugs, garden furniture, inflatable mattresses and their overcoats on the asphalt. “I drove to Brisbane in 1972 because a friend of mine was getting married,” said Russell. “I was living in Sydney at the time, and I actually stopped at the Opera House the day before it was opening. To be able to play there on the steps on New Years Eve was a big thrill for us.”
 楼主| 发表于 2011-12-19 19:32 | 显示全部楼层
译文: <转载请注明空气补给中文网>
     时间进入1976年,耶稣超级明星在阿德莱德,墨尔本,悉尼和珀斯继续谱写着他们的成功。Graham和Russell又再次变为了三人组合。Jeremy Paul进入二月份在布里斯班的超级明星演出阵容中,他是超级明星制作人Harry M. Miller的妹夫。Jeremy刚刚结束了一个舞台剧的巡回演出,他在剧中饰演约瑟夫,他是一个叫Softrock乐队前贝司手,乐队名字经常被拼错,他们拥有一支Top40金曲'Set Me Free'。Jeremy在1972年发行了他唯一一支个人单曲‘What Becomes Of You My Love’。他去欧洲待了两年,在俱乐部演出。“我妈妈弹钢琴,我妹妹也是。Jeremy说,‘本来的想法是让我也弹钢琴。’但是很快不幸的是,老妇人教孩子很快让他们失去了兴趣,这也发生在我身上。”

Russell和Graham请求Jeremy加入演出因为他们欣赏他的声音和乐器的演奏能力。这个三人组合在“超级明星”演出结束后,开始他们自己的现场演出,这通常会在晚上10点半后开始。“当jeremy加入我们以后,我对乐队有了一些想法,Graham说。“我对乐队有了些新的主意,我明白我想要做什么。我想Russell一定也这么认为的 - 我们总是想到一块儿去。然后Jeremy加入了我们弹奏贝斯。我记得我们坐在剧院里看别人排练,我说,‘你玩乐器吗?’ 他说, ‘是的,我弹贝斯。’ 我说,‘是的,我想也是。’ 然然后我们就这样开始了。这和Chrissie在队中是完全不同的,在Jeremy加入之前 - 因为我们已经有了一名木吉他,Congas鼓和三个和声。但是现在Jeremy的声音更趋向于低音,因为Jeremy是男中音,和我一样。Jeremy通常在歌曲里唱低音。他通常比我在声音控制上比我更胜一筹。”   

Russell那独特和具有爆发力的嗓音被“超级明星”的许多演员称赞,其中就包括了Jon English。Jon在1976年的早些时候正在制作他的第三张个人专辑,他让Russell在他的两首歌中演唱背景部分‘Laughing At The Guru’ 和 ‘If You Think You’re Groovy’ 。Russell也同时演奏了打击乐器。Jon在1976年5月发行了他的专辑 ‘Hollywood Seven’,和他的首支单曲(‘Hollywood Seven’),在澳大利亚和新西兰,这首歌成为了电台热门歌曲。

Russell和Chrissie Hammond在澳大利亚乡村歌手Anne Kirkpatrick的第二张专辑里的一首叫‘Take My Hand’ 的歌里唱了和声,这使得这首歌显得更加自然和有力。Kirkpatrick是澳大利亚传奇乡村歌手Slim Dusty和Joy McKean的女儿,1976年发行专辑后,好评如潮。在超级明星巡演一年后,Russell现在拥有了录制唱片经验。

到了1976年夏天,Graham, Russell和Jeremy被认为是一支出色的现场乐队,并且准备考虑他们在超级明星演出结束后的音乐生涯。几个月之前,Graham和Russell在超级明星的演出空挡期间在墨尔本录制了三首Graham的两首歌,放进了小卡带播放器中。这三首歌是 ‘Love and Other Bruises’,‘Empty Pages’ 和 ‘If You Knew Me’。超级明星的音乐指导Frank Esler-Smith在 ‘Love and Other Bruises’,这首歌中作出一些重要的调整,这是一首Graham几年前就写的歌,而且已经和Chrissie Hammond现场演唱过。Hammond和Graham知道这首歌有巨大的潜力,因为每次都会在酒吧和咖啡吧中得到强烈的反响。

“一天中午我们决定录制两首样带“,Graham说道, “我们雇了键盘手和音乐指导(Frank Esler-Smith),和鼓手(Danny Groves),并且在卡带播放器中录制了这个样带。雇佣的乐手之前都没有听到过这些歌曲,我们只是简单的写了几个谱子给他们。当我们演奏歌曲的时候,感觉棒极了,因为所有的旋律都很棒。我们拿给唱片公司,他们都嘲笑我们。” 但是Graham永不放弃的态度的得到了回报,最终他们把这盘带子给了悉尼CBS唱片公司的Peter Dawkins。Dawkins和Graham几年前就已经认识,他们已经成为了好朋友,但是Graham并没有意识到Dawkins已经是CBS的常驻制作人了。“CBS那时在澳大利亚才刚刚起步,所以他们一直在寻找新鲜的声音。”Graham说,“制作人Peter Dawkins非常喜爱这首歌,并且认为这将会成为热门歌曲。”

Peter Dawkins对澳大利亚唱片工业了如指掌,70年代早期他在Festival唱片公司作为乐队Ariel的制作人。1975年他转到了CBS为了帮助他们在澳大利亚的品牌启动。CBS对Dawkins说尽管花任何你想要的资源去让这个目标实现吧。很快他就签约了Ariel。接下来当他在Recovery酒吧听到他们演出之后,签下了澳大利亚新西兰乐队Dragon。

Air Supply过来找了我,Peter说,“我最早是看到他们从墨尔本过来,那时是Chrissie Hammond和Graham Russell。我想Russell也和他们在一起,但我不是很确定。他们三个跑进我的办公室,Jeremy Paul, Russell Hitchcock和Graham Russell。我不太了解他们的音乐。之后我发现我喜欢上了他们的音乐了。他们给了我一份三首歌的样带。我认为其中两首如果录音的话一定能成为金曲。 ‘Love and Other Bruises’ 和 ‘Empty Pages’。所以我立刻给了他们合约。我拉开抽屉,然后说把这个拿去吧,让你们的律师看看,然后告诉你需要做什么。因为他们当时仍然在超级明星中演出,我去看他们演出,问他们是否能够带来几个别的演员过来。”

在与Peter Dawkins第一次见面后,Air Supply在悉尼录制了额外几份样带,准备提供给别的两家公司。录制一首单曲的合约在7月份签订,但还不是整张专辑。对于唱片公司来说,发行一张单曲是用来介绍新人的惯用手段。假如第一张成功,那么第二张单曲会紧接而来,然后会发行LP大碟,这又会包含之前的两张单曲。Russell清晰记得他们第一次和CBS签约的那天早上,因为这导致了下午在超级明星的演出状态大减。“和CBS签约的那天我们还在超级明星演出,我们出去吃了午饭来庆祝这件事。” Russell说,“我们喝了一点酒。在演出开始的时候,Graham,我和另外两人在耶稣走过的时候不得不拿着巨大的杆子,在耶稣头上撑起蓬。我们几乎把耶稣弄到外面去了!弄出了很大的麻烦,幸运的是,他们让我们留下了。”

一纸合约在手,一天下午乐队进入了Peter Dawkins和录音师Bruce Brown在悉尼的Albert录音室。这个录音室在澳大利亚摇滚界有着非常好的名声。像AC/DC,Rose Tattoo,The Angels,John Paul Young都在这里录音。录音棚里的一面墙上都挂着许多明星的涂鸦。Air Supply在2号录音室进行录音,这个录音室在1976年建成为了缓解1号录音室的压力。2号录音室的控制房用木头建造围墙。Air Supply的乐手阵容中包括,鼓手Graeme Pearce和钢琴手Peter Deacon。而当Russell录制'Love and Other Bruises'的声音部分时,每个录音室都被震撼到了。特别是一个高八度的音引起了高潮。“我们只是相互对望着。” Graham说,“当我写歌的时候我就知道它将成为一首金曲。尽管已经过了3年了。”

Air Supply用了4小时后完成了2首歌的录音,CBS希望能够立刻发行这张单曲。快速录音让乐队吃了一惊,因为Peter在音乐界以完美主义闻名。“只要身在录音室,我就会非常挑剔。” Peter说。“我要求很多,我也期待很多,我也尽可能获得更多,因为我知道一旦走出这里,就一定要完成。”   

而这时,乐队还没有自己的名字。Peter告诉他们他们必须在第二天早上拥有自己的名字,以便单曲能够顺利的发行。“我们清楚第二天我们必须有自己的名字,所以我们说无论谁想到了好名字,我们都会用他的“ Graham说。Russell 记得他向自己的同事咨询。“我们问了许多演出时候的演员同事来提建议,而他们都没有把这件事当回事。我非常生气,因为他们想出的一些名字我们是准备要用的。” 第二天早上,Russell 依然没有什么想法,但是Graham那天晚上做了一个非常有趣的梦。“我做了个梦,有一块巨大的广告牌上面有许多彩色的闪光,中间写着Air Supply。我们从来不知道这是什么意思。很多年后,我们得知了air意味着旋律,但是那时我们却浑然不知。”

‘Love and Other Bruises’ 有潜力在商业上获得成功。但它的成功绝不是理所当然的。因为电台有20%本地歌曲的限制,所以一些新乐队很难在澳大利亚电台的黄金时段获得播放。澳大利亚的音乐经常在晚间被播放,主流时段留给了美国和英国的单曲。除非你是Sherbet,Marcia Hines或者Skyhooks,电台会考虑添加一些澳大利亚单曲进去做轮换。Johnny O’Keefe是澳大利亚最有成就的摇滚表演者,他相信这个电台限制将会提升至 33%。澳大利亚音乐协会的领导人相信电台宁可播放一首金曲20遍也不愿意播放20张不同的唱片。“他们总是选择那些已经流行的,而不愿意去播放任何新的唱片。” 他说。

1976年的9月下旬,单曲  ‘Love And Other Bruises’ 用Air Supply的名字发行了。歌曲迅速在阿德莱德的5KA电台中播放,这是第一家承认Air Supply的电台。5KA的唱片师Dave Barnett认为‘Love and Other Bruises’是一个景点的澳大利亚单曲。“他们写了自己风格的歌曲,没有一支澳大利亚乐队如此”,Barnett说,“他们真的是非常专业。这首歌的制作相当棒。”

悉尼的电台2GB是另外唯一一个电台播放此单曲的,但是相当不巧的是,电台正值人员动荡,单曲也在这混乱中遗失了。直到11月中旬,Air Supply来到阿德莱德演出了一个星期,Graham收到了一个电话称Eastern States拿到了 ‘Love and Other Bruises’。悉尼的2SM和墨尔本的3XY弥补了这段遗失的时间,热情地迎接这个单曲。到了11月下旬,‘Love and Other Bruises’成为了澳大利亚一首重要的歌曲,到了圣诞节,歌曲成为了全国Top10。

乐迷们非常喜欢这首旋律优美的歌,和之前电台里放的别的什么都不相同。RAM杂志是这样描述的,“这是一首优美的流行歌曲。Russell Hitchcock的嗓音令人惊艳。” 澳大利亚唱片协会主席Denis Handlin觉得 ‘Love And Other Bruises’ “是Peter Dawkins写的一首歌。几乎超过同类一个级别。Peter知道如何让艺人发挥出最大能力。“ Handlin说,”Peter能把艺人所有的才华都展现出来。我最初了解Peter的时候他正在和Air Supply共事。我刚刚在1976年搬去悉尼。Peter有意进军市场,宣传和销售领域。Peter会花所有的时间在录音室里,他会想尽办法让唱片大卖。不到完美他不会罢手。”   

1977年1月,‘Love And Other Bruises’ 在Kent Music Report上排名第六,在Top10内占据了2个月,在排行榜上出色的保持了28周。歌曲在国家Top 100单曲榜中排名第64位。正如CBS预期,单曲卖得相当出色。他们很快签下Air Supply准备录制一张专辑,乐队和澳洲CBS签订5年合约。在Peter Dawkins推荐下,Air Supply请Doug Henderson作为他们乐队的经纪人。Doug出生于新西兰 Timaru,之前是60年代新西兰乐队The Castaways的吉他手,Peter Dawkins有很短一段时间在乐队内任鼓手。70年代他搬到悉尼,转行成为了艺人的经纪人。

此时,Graham, Russell和Jeremy依旧在超级明星内演出,由于合同规定他们不允许以Air Supply的名义宣传自己。当‘Love and Other Bruises’ 在5KA电台播出的时候,公众完全不知道Air Supply是何方人物。10月是他们在超级明星的最后一个星期了,Air Supply在咖啡吧和小俱乐部演出,他们演唱 ‘Love and Other Bruises,’ ,观众惊讶这个不插电版本,觉得Russell Hitchcock的声音如此像Air Supply那神秘的主唱。“突然间,这支称为Air Supply的乐队没有任何人知道。” Graham说,“‘Love and Other Bruises’ 在排行榜前列,但是却没有人知道我们!我们没有做过任何采访和别的什么。我们只是很幸运的让电台播放我们的单曲。机会刚刚好,因为这是首很棒的情歌。”

流言持续传播,升级为传说Air Supply一定是美国西海岸的一支乐队。超级明星中的Trevor White完全清楚Air Supply的经历感受。Trevor那时有一首top 40的,如果那时他能够自我宣传,那一定能够取得更好成绩。“你必须要走出去。” Trevor说,“过去的几年,每个人都看到我演耶稣的角色,因为我演这个角色非常的不错。这总比什么都没有来的强。”

当Air Supply在阿尔伯特录音室录制 ‘Love And Other Bruises’ 专辑的时候,Peter Dawkins让他们演唱Dragon乐队在1976年9月的第二支CBS单曲‘This Time’的背景和声。他们的首支澳大利亚单曲‘Wait Until Tomorrow’以失败收场,CBS给了他们最后一次机会来打造一支金曲。 ‘This Time’ 最终在11月份攀升到了澳大利亚榜的第26名,并且收录在Dragon 1977年的金唱片 ‘Sunshine’ 中,“我们在Dragon的第一张录音中演唱,因为他们对和声并不拿手。” Graham说,“所以他们邀请我们来录音。Russell和我在‘This Time’中演唱了所有的背景和声。”

10月16日,耶稣超级明星在悉尼落下帷幕,过去18个月里取得了巨大的成功。相反的,Air Supply终于能够聚精会神的让公众们熟悉自己了。“超级明星给他们上了很好的一课,那时,我们每个演出晚上都做着同样的事。”Russell说道,“我们甚至不能改动歌曲的顺序。都是有人告诉我们应该去哪里站,什么时候,增加了我们的敬业精神,给了我们在观众面前的信心勇气。Graham和我一起在演出中共事,那也真是太惊人的巧合了。我们一起从同一个测试屋子里出来。我们同时到那里,都不得不蹲下。屋子的灯熄灭意味着演出的开始,我们都要说我们是多么的不想做这个。但是每次克服了之后,就像有人给你充满了电一样。每个晚上,600场演出,从不厌倦,总是百分百的投入。”

“超级明星是我最骄傲的作品。” 传奇澳大利亚宣传人和制作人Harry M. Miller在1983年说道,“ 这个剧拥有那么多有天赋的年轻人和别出心裁的创意,我是相当的自豪能够为澳大利亚剧院作这些贡献。回忆快乐也许是我最喜欢的的方式。我想Jon English在扮演犹大的4年时间,使他继续成为伟大的演员,歌手。超级明星也是乐队组合的摇篮,出现了国际明星Air Supply。Graham Russell和Russell Hitchcock两位年轻音乐家在阵容中待了一年,扮演使徒和重要的替角。Jeremy Paul我妻子Wendy的弟弟在1976年加入演出阵容,很快发现他们三人有着相同的音乐志向。很快超级明星在1976年10月结束演出,Air Supply开始升空。Jeremy也不在组合中了。”

Air Supply在10月18日回到了录音室,仅仅是超级明星谢幕后的两天。Peter Dawkins和乐队在悉尼EMI录音室 (INXS和AC/DC)疯狂的连续工作了5天。在接下来的周末之前完成了整张专辑的录制工作。专辑的声音风格和 ‘Love and Other Bruises.’ 很相似,因为他具有质感和原始粗糙感,在录音室中几乎没有怎么用特别效果。Graham和Jeremy没有使用任何吉他效果器。Graham和Jeremy在吉他上没有用效果器,尽管Graham在以后的专辑中的确尝试过使用吉他phaser foot-pedal。Russell在他的声音上也没有做什么特别的处理。大多他的声音也是录制在一条音轨上,那时确实非常的罕见。主唱声音用双轨的声音是很常见的,这会使声音显得更加的饱满,更具吸引力,那特别适用在嗓音比较弱的歌手上。Russell的单音轨已经完全能够体现他的声音的爆发力和质感了。

那时录音室乐队成员包括了鼓手Jeff Browne,吉他手Mark McEntee和键盘手Adrian Scott。McEntee和Scott都在1975年的耶稣超级明星中参演。乐队宣称他们纯净,不像其他澳大利亚摇滚乐队那样粗糙。“我们总是想要和别的澳大利亚乐队有所不同。”
Russell说,“我们希望让大家有个好印象。我们想要制作好声音。不是激进的摇滚,而是很有旋律性。”

在超级明星的最后几个星期,Trevor White,Jon English和Air Supply订了一个协议,11月和12月一起到昆士兰,和新南威尔士某些地方进行巡演,演出名叫Superstars in Revue。这是一个借助超级明星成功的大好良机。

不幸的是,英格兰人Trevor White在他的澳大利亚签证过期后只能滞留在巴厘岛。当他回到澳大利亚后,作为键盘手加入了Marcia Hines的乐队, 而没有进行个人独唱生涯或者与Air Supply和Jon English一起巡演。但是随着观众对Air Supply需求的增长,和一些Jon English的管理问题,演出被迫取消了。这次缩短的巡演给了Air Supply明显的曝光度,他们的声誉爬升了相当快,但是乐队却始终受限于超级明星的招牌。他们需要创造属于自己的认知度。“我总是把超级明星看做仅仅就是Jon和Trevor。”  Graham说,“可能还有Mary Magdalene但远不及Jon和Trevor。他们无法超越,至少是很长一段时间内。这是一份荣誉,因为这段经历带来的经验无可比拟。我们真的无法强求更多。和超级明星联系在一起使我们不会沮丧,但是我敢说因为我们之中没有人扮演主要角色,所以这份感觉可能会在几个月内消失殆尽。”

在1976年12月,仅仅是制作完成后的两周,乐队同名唱片专辑发行了。专辑原定于2月份发行,但是Air Supply的迅速走红迫使CBS提前14个星期发行。专辑在澳大利亚和新西兰卖的相当的好,最终在国家唱片排行榜上爬到了第17位。专辑封面照片和设计被评为澳大利亚年度最佳。“封面上我们走进小巷,这会让人意识到我们是哪里来的。” Graham说,“水晶球标志着我们的音乐纯净而洁白,没有任何激进的成分。那正是我们要找寻的。” Rainbow音乐是澳大利亚CBS旗下的公司,在1977年(RSVLP 002)重新发行了这张专辑。CBS/Epic于1980年在日本重新发行这张专辑,使用的标题是 ‘Strangers In Love’  (25-3P-232)并且用了不同的封面。

澳大利亚对这张专辑的评价相当好:
  这张专辑堪称澳大利亚近年来最佳软摇滚专辑。紧凑,专业,由Peter Dawkins制作,Air Supply可能不会演奏那种劲爆的摇滚乐,但是他们抒情摇滚确实完美无瑕的。‘Love And Other Bruises’ 是独唱曲。但大多数是数位主唱轮流演唱,当三人组合中的其他两位一起演唱的时候使得Air Supply的变得更好,提供了足够的色彩使得唱片在两面的歌曲都显得很丰满。专辑在流行乐市场无疑会成功,甚至可能在MOR界,对于那些硬摇滚歌迷我要说的是:好的软摇滚一定是比那些不怎么样的硬摇滚是要棒许多的。 - Al Webb, JUKE

当你越多听这张专辑,你越能感受到这声音的神奇之处。相对于公众和唱片公司的意见,我不认为Graham Russell的歌在音乐性上有什么不同之处(对于大多数来说,像 ‘Secret Agent’ 确实比专辑中其他歌曲出彩许多)。 [歌词]缺乏独立感,让他变得更为出色,但这也不是Air Supply的特色,Russell的歌词在他自己看来也是相当好的,主要讲述了爱情和其他的伤痛,每天的情感。- JUKE

超级明星中的巨星现在化身为3个人,他们是Graham, Russell 和Jeremy,所有3人都来自于第二次巡演。以Air Supply的名义发行了首张唱片 - 完美的编排,美丽的和声,谨慎而适当的背景。动人的情歌 ‘Love And Other Bruises’  在电台中播放;这是首美丽的情歌能够在任何地方播放。同样的歌还有 ‘Feel The Breeze’ ,‘We Are All Alone’ 和 拥有很棒和声的‘It’s Not Easy’ 和 ‘The Weight Is My Soul’ 。Air Supply的强大之处在于Russell多产的创作 - 专辑中的每首歌都出自他手 - 强大的声音 - 和极棒的音乐。- Paul Speelman & Mike Daly, The Age

Air Supply的三位成员在超级明星的演出中相识。当歌剧落下帷幕后,他们决心一同建立组合进军流行音乐领域。显然这是正确的,第一张专辑显示出他们光明的未来。 ‘Love and Other Bruises’ 爬升至Top 40。- David Ramsey, The Australian Woman’s Weekly

Air Supply在12月5日完成了他们在Countdown节目的第一次露面,演唱了‘Love and Other Bruises’ 。在签约CBS很久之前,音乐电视节目Countdown联系到了Air Supply在5月录制乐队的一些片段。Countdown是澳大利亚最著名的音乐电视节目,里面有很多澳大利亚艺人的演出,他们对电台播放,排行榜名词,唱片市场有着巨大的影响。Air Supply在Countdown上露面之后,歌曲 ‘Love and Other Bruises’就进入Top 10那绝不仅仅是巧合。

“你不必单纯的依靠电台播放。” 唱片公司高管Michael Gudinksi说,“你可以在Countdown演出,下一个星期如果你的歌够好就能立竿见影看见销量攀升。歌曲就会进入寻常百姓家。周日晚间档的节目真是生活中的一部分,无论你是否喜欢这个乐队,都一定是一周的茶余饭后的话题。”

Countdown是澳大利亚政府所有的澳大利亚广播公司(ABC)旗下节目,里面包含了超多澳大利亚艺人的表演。按规定澳大利亚艺人必须占节目20%,Countdown节目总是超过这个需求。国家电视台有类似的内容限定。Countdown的流行度在70年代后期衰退,但是Air Supply在1976年的出现给了这个乐队在澳大利亚内以视觉上的冲击。节目给Air Supply另一个标签,而不仅仅是“来自超级明星的家伙”。’

EMI的国际部宣传经理Rob Walker,强调电视对澳大利亚艺术的重要性:“在宣传方面,由于受到电视的影响,澳大利亚唱片市场是特别的。除开每周的摇滚节目,我们有超过70个其他的电视节目,有电影片段,访谈等。”澳大利亚的音乐工业在电视上的曝光率是世界上最高的。

12月26日,Air Supply在悉尼Flemington市场演出。演出组织者预计这个地方将会成为以后摇滚演出的常规地点。几百个年轻歌迷观看了12个乐队参加的演出。

Air Supply在澳大利亚的声望在很快增加。最终,他们被邀请参加在著名的悉尼歌剧院外的新年演出。这个免费的户外演出是长达一个月的系列庆典活动之一。在主舞台演出的有Renee Geyer, John Paul Young 和 the Allstars, Air Supply 和澳大利亚剧院和伊丽莎白悉尼管弦乐团。为了适应这次活动,一个特制的透明音响外壳建立在歌剧院南楼梯,还有灯塔和两个追光灯塔。舞台边上有JBL扬声器。演出在晚上8点开始,主持人Harry M. Miller介绍今晚的首支乐队Air Supply。但就当他们要登台时,四辆消防车,警笛长鸣,开到歌剧院门口,阻止厨房的火势。在一切都安稳下来之后,Air Supply面对9万名观众演唱了首张专辑中的歌。 “1972年我开车前往布里斯班,因为我的一个好友结婚了。” Russell说,“那时我住在悉尼,在演出前一天我实际上停在歌剧院门口。能够在新年夜演出对我来说真是个莫大的惊喜。” 

楼主| 发表于 2013-2-2 22:40 | 显示全部楼层
修订的图片和文字均已更新完毕!
 楼主| 发表于 2014-8-4 21:08 | 显示全部楼层
大图和内容更新完毕。
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册Airhead

本版积分规则

小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|联系站长| Air Supply China Fan Site (Since 2009.4.6)

Copyright © 2009-2023 Air Supply China Fan Site.   All Rights Reserved.