查看: 5358|回复: 0

第2-13章:劳伦斯爵士颂 - Ode to Sir Laurence

[复制链接]
发表于 2018-12-9 20:36 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
Ode.jpg
Above: Me singing at the Bicentennial
Above: Russell and me on stage performing at the Bicentennial

Ode to Sir Laurence

In 1988, we were asked to play live at a Royal Command performance to celebrate Australia's Bicentennial. We would be performing for the Prince of Wales and the Princess of Wales in Sydney. Of course, we joyfully accepted. (I don't think you can not accept!)

It was a great honer and privilege. It was to be, quite probably, the hightlight of my career, especially after seeing so many Command performances as a child on the BBC with some of the greatest artists in the world.

The privilege was, of course, not ours alone. We were just one of many artists on the bill, most of them legends. We met Sir Cliff Richard, Olivia, John Denver and many legendary Australian artists  we had been watching for many years. Russell and I had very shiny suits specially made for the performance.

We played serveral songs with a hand-picked orchestra, and it went off beautifully. We stood in line to meet the royals and chatted briefly with them as according to British protocol.

Princess Diana. She was utterly overwhelming. It was easy to see why the world loved her so very much, and why the world mourns her still.

I could'nt help but think that my mother, had she been alive, would have been so proud of her only son. Dad shed a tear as he watched it on TV. The whole event went off perfectly, and to my surprise, we were selected to have lunch with the royals and others the following day. Russell wasn't there; I can't remember why.

My wife, Jodi, and I sat next to Sir Laurence Street, who was then the Superior Court chief justice. He and his wife were wonderful people whom we got to know quite well that day. Sir Laurence was a little tipsy (actually more than a little) and really took a shine to Jodi. In fact, he could not help looking at her cleavage every few seconds, thought he was completely harmless, of course. There was a crow's nest at the restaurant and he insisted that he and Jodi climb to the top, which they did. It was so funny seeing the highest court judge in the land having such a great time. He was like a little boy again! Sir Laurence asked where we were staying, and I replied that we had planned to stay at the Sebel Townhouse but that they were overbooked.

What made this particular moment stand out was being in the midst of different types of people, a prince and princess, military dignitaries, mayors, governors and even a prime minister or two, all brought together by music. It has always baffled me that a few chords in a certain sequence can help change the world, and it felt that was the case on this day. But for us, it feels that way every day.

As a footnote, Sir Laurence was able to get Jodi and me a suite at the Sebel Townhouse that night when none were available. How sweet it is!

中文译文:
      1988年,我们被邀请前往参加纪念澳大利亚200年纪念的演出。我们将会在悉尼为威尔士王子和威尔士王妃表演。当然我们愉快的接受了。(我认为这是理所应当接受的!)

这是至高无上的荣誉。这很可能是我们音乐生涯的高光时刻,特别是我小时候在BBC上见到那么国家元首和那么多世界上最顶尖的艺人。

当然,并不只是我们。我们只是演出嘉宾中的一位,他们中的大多数都是传奇。我们见到了克里夫理查德爵士,奥莉薇亚,约翰丹佛和许多别的澳大利亚传奇人物。Russell和我穿着闪亮的演出服,这是特别为这次演出定制的。

我们和精心挑选的弦乐团一起合作了几首歌,结尾部分异常的优美。我们排成一排接受皇室成员的接见,按照英国礼仪我们进行了简短的谈话。

戴安娜王妃。她气质压倒一切。会容易看出为什么全世界都那么热爱她,并且为什么全世界都在为她哀悼。

我情不自禁想起来了我的母亲,要是她还活着,她一定会为她唯一的儿子而感到自豪的。我父亲在电视上看到这个节目,流下了眼泪。整个活动完美闭幕,令我惊讶的是,我们被选中第二天参加和皇室成员一起共进午餐。Russell没有去,我记不起是为什么了。

我的妻子Jodi和我一起坐在劳伦斯爵士的旁边,他是高级法院首席法官。他和他的妻子都是很好的人。劳伦斯爵士那天有点微醺 (事实上不止一点点) 而且很喜欢Jodi。实际上,他时不时地盯着她的低胸看,当然,我并不觉得这有什么冒犯。餐厅里有一个乌鸦巢,她坚持要和Jodi一起爬到顶,他们也这样做了。看到最高法庭法官做这样的事,真是很有趣。他简直就像个小男孩!劳伦斯爵士问我们住在哪里,我回答他我们计划住在赛贝尔市政厅,但是那里已经订满了。

使这一特殊时刻引人注目的是我们矗立在不同类型的人中间,一个王子和王妃,军事政要,市长,州长甚至是一位或两位首相,由于音乐,都被联系到了一起。它总是使我感到困惑的是,通过一定排列的一些和弦的确可以帮助改变世界,这就是今天的情况。但是对于我们来说,每天都在重复这样的事情。

注释,劳伦斯爵士为Jodi和我订了一间赛贝尔市政厅的套房。真是个大好人!

原图下载:
游客,如果您要查看本帖隐藏内容请回复

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册Airhead

本版积分规则

小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|联系站长| Air Supply China Fan Site (Since 2009.4.6)

Copyright © 2009-2023 Air Supply China Fan Site.   All Rights Reserved.